- Doublers Collective – is a group of five established jazz saxophone professionals that fill a need for woodwind doubling performance and instruction while collaborating with composers to create a repertoire for this unique instrumentation.
- The Monica Shriver Jazz Project – a traditional jazz combo playing standards and originals, featuring Monica Shriver on flute, clarinet and saxophones.
- Pangean Orchestra – a world orchestra bringing musicians from different cultures and backgrounds together to make music.
Professional Organizations I belong to:
- Fractured Atlas
- USA Projects
- American Federation of Musicians (AFM)
- Jazz Education Network (JEN)
- Chamber Music America with Doublers Collective
- North American Saxophone Alliance (NASA)
- NAfME (formerly MENC)
Instruments, sheet music, and accessories websites:
Music Tools I dig:
- Finale – music writing software
- Staff Paper – formatted for a variety of ensembles. Very cool!
- Noteflight – Online Music Notation Software (very useful in the classroom).
- Amazing Slowdowner – one of the best things $50 can buy. Seriously.
- Good Ear – Online Ear Training Site
- iRealBook for the iPhone/iPad and Mac
Interesting Websites / Blogs / People:
- Hot Birds and the Chili Sauce – a great funk, soul, R&B band.
- Sonoran Serenade Big Band
- Bad Sneakers – the music of Tower of Power and Steely Dan
- Train Wreck in Progress – great podcasts with artists in the throws of creation
- Tetra String Quartet
- SURDNA Foundation
- SURDNA Arts Teacher Fellowship
- JazzCorner – great website to connect to other jazz musicians and organization.
- Karen Gallinger – jazz vocalist, educator, and author from California. Karen was a fellow Surdna round 10 fellowship grantee with me.
- Tom Virgin – artist from Florida. Tom was a fellow Surdna round 10 fellowship grantee with me.
- Adam Roberts – a dear friend, fellow theory nerd, colleague at ASA, and member of the Doublers Collective. (Also my go-to guy for all things website related. :))
- Alan Baylock
- Frank Rosaly
- Colin O’Donohoe – artistic director of the Pangean Orchestra.
- Gig Anecdotes – an often humorous sharing of stories about life as a gigging musician.
- Claire Daly – fantastic bari saxophonist who I met for the first time at the JEN conference in New Orleans.
- Best Saxophone Website Ever
- Greg Fishman Jazz Studios
- Agave Music – great repair shop in Phoenix
- Live Music Earth – great site for finding shows and venues.
- Arizona Songwriters Circle
Local Phoenix businesses I support: